Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Breaking The Rules - Part I

In a recent photo class we were advised to "always" use a flash (except at night); and to avoid taking pictures where the user might have to ask, "What am I looking at".

However, a few recent photos of mine came to mind, in which foregoing flash made the picture, or where use of same proved a hindrance that I couldn't quite overcome with my beloved photoshop. Secondly, a few of my favored photos are the ones where one was forced to ask, "What am I looking at?" (see Fantastical Friday post of 11/19/2010 and follow up Revelations on 12/04/2010); so long as it's interesting, I don't think the answer is imperative to enjoyment. So, I'm decidedly going to break these two rules on a regular basis.

Don't get me wrong, it was a very good, very informative class and I have volumes to learn, so I will continue to attend, to learn, and to listen (and to selectively disregard, lol)!


These first two photos were taken using my new light bar, with a yellow filter,
which seems to have really brought out the reds:

f/4, 1/60 sec, ISO-800 with filtered flash - without Tripod
f/8, 1/30 sec, ISO-200 with filtered flash - without Tripod

And these two were taken foregoing flash:

f/3.8, 1/30 sec, ISO-1100, No Flash - with Tripod
f/3.8, 1/60 sec, ISO-800, No Flash - with Tripod

I think each was best served by the selection of flash, or lack thereof (and none were subject to color saturation with photoshop). Comments?

5 comments:

Prettypics123 said...

Hi Christine, Sorry it has taken me so long to come by and comment. I've been distracted. I do appreciate your visits to my blogs - A Camp Host's Meanderings and Levonne's Pretty Pics. The flash. I have to say that hardly ever use the flash. And often when I do, I am not happy with the results. Sometimes though I am happy with the results. Your shots have depth and nice color saturation. I especially like the first and last shot. Question? How do you keep the camera still enough at such slow shutter speeds? Thanks much.

Prettypics123 said...

Christine, Where did you get the "Subscribe by email" gadget below? I can't seem to find one that allows me to use this feature in this way? Thanks. Levonne

Christine Stonebridge said...

Hi Levonne, as always - thanks for the visit and comments. I'm always happy to see that you've stopped by :) Nice to hear you have the same issues with flash.

As far as keeping steady at slow speeds - I'm still figuring that out. I know it has to do with combo of speed/apperatue, but haven't yet mastered thier relationship, so I'm still using auto mode. I read and try to remember to make as many points of contact with my body as possible (kneeling, leaning against something or even lying down) and am mindful of breathing - pause halfway through an exhale and shoot. At this point, I'm going to say it's a little bit of these techniques, but mainly a whole lot of luck and the gift of digital (take a million shots and delete all but one).

Christine Stonebridge said...

Levonne ... on the "Subscribe by email" ... I wish I could tell you, but I have no idea! I actually didn't realize it was there until you pointed it out. I'll take a look at my settings and see if I find any hints. It's good to know though, because a lot of non-google acct users have reported not being able to use the "follow" function.

Christine Stonebridge said...

PS to Levonne on the clear shots at slow shutter speeds ... I failed to mention the most important aspect ... VR lens! World of difference - recent topic of photo class and the teacher said that you can actually get good shots at up to two full stops slower with a Vibration Reduction lens than a traditional(varies by shooter, obviously).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...