Friday, January 21, 2011

Baby-Bunny-Mama-Drama

On Wednesday evening our min-pin, Tequila, discovered a bunny nest less than 10-feet from our front door, in a shallow nest at the base of a pony-tail palm. Ray had only seen the head of one and thought it was a mole.

On Thursday morning, I discovered a tiny dead little creature. I wasn't sure what it was, but was certain it wasn't a mole. Later that evening, while out taking pictures of that fabulous full moon, Tequila again went near the nest, which apparently caused one of them to come out. Thankfully I caught her before she caused any damage (heart attack!). She apparently only nudged it with her nose, as evidenced by the wet mark on it's neck. The poor thing was obviously stressed, rolling around and breathing heavy. I petted and then cupped my hand against it, and it immediately snuggled against my hand, making a suckling sound. This drew out the remaining bunny. I nudged them back towards their nest and, after several attempts, got them moved back in the nest and moved the clover leafs and mulch back over the hole (they kept coming back out).  Then I searched Florida Critters, Varmints, and Rodents. The pic that matched the closest was a bunny!

These are the pics from last night ...





I had my mom pick up a can of powdered KMS Kitten formula earlier today, just in case. Ray called  me late in the afternoon to tell me that while he'd been sitting on the front wall, they'd both come out, blindly stumbling around - seemingly searching for mom/food (only one has one eye starting to open).

Ray made a nest in a cardboard box, I fed them and they're presently resting in their new "nest " on a shelf in our bedroom closet.

I read several sites on wild bunnies and they all indicate that the mom only comes by to feed once per evening, for about 5 minutes. But the nest didn't haven't any fur around it, as is typical, and the entrance (until we roused them with our activity) did show signs of her return for two days in a row and they don't quite have the fat bellies supposed to be evident with a cared for wild bunny. I couldn't bear the thought of them starving, so ...

We'll keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

You're such a sweetie and I'd better get off this computer and get ready for my date with you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...