Saturday, March 5, 2011

Resting My Eyes

A Visual Ode to Those Who Love To Read

"Resting My Eyes"

Another of my loves is reading, which I attribute to my Grampy, who was an avid reader. These are actually Margaret's glasses (Billy's m-i-l), but the photo reminds me of him. It's little things like this, that keep love alive.

I'll never forget Ms. Hamilton, my 9th grade English teacher, presenting my class with The Old Man and the Sea. She asked if any of us had heard of it and I raised my hand, saying that I'd read it. Astonished, she told me that I couldn't have, "It's on the college reading list!"

I proudly declared that my Grampy had given it to me to read when I was eight or nine. After testing me with a few questions (that I was able to answer), she informed me I'd be reading it again. I had her all four years of high school and still remember her as one of my favorite teachers.

I think I just inspired myself to read it again, for old times sake.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm Back, Glasses and a book, what a simple photo!, with such complex thoughts and feelings. It takes a talent, to conect an image, to an emotion or memory, much the way a song can do the same. I am impressed with how you are able to see and translate images so well. Luv Diane & Jamey

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Love this post and I'm sure that teacher remembered you forever too!

Christine Stonebridge said...

Thanks, Jamey & Diane. "Inside" stories are always the best. Taking a photo that resonates with others is a real joy.

Thanks, Ree :) She just might - that would be a real treasure :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...