Sunday, February 13, 2011

Leading Lines & Reflections (More from Corkscrew Sanctuary)

I've been taking some photo classes (and reading a lot on the subject of photography). It's funny how certain knowledge, when first learned, seems a distraction; but in hindsight, you realize some of your better shots were due to following some of these rules, despite not (consciously) knowing they even existed. This knowledge slowly changes your perception, and with a bit of practice, better shots start to come more naturally.

LEADING LINES ... the first two pics here are (I think) good examples of such. Which is to say, if there are lines in your frame, try to line them up so they aim toward a point of interest (so they add, rather than detract, from your composition). Neither of these was planned (posed), I simply looked and saw that my friends just happened to be standing in position with leading lines ...

I took three shots of this first pic, moving my position for each, and the third (pictured) was the one I was most pleased with. By moving to the right and squatting down, I was able to "point" the leading lines right at Vicki's waist (and also keep them close enough to the lower/horizontal 1/3 line to be considered a well balanced picture - at least in my amateur opinion).

My Friend & fellow Shutter-Bug Adventurer, Vicki

Talk about Leading Lines ...  the railings and the shadows of the railings all lead you right to what I'm looking at (and the sky is at the top 1/3 horizon line). Maybe not the most compelling pictures to everyone, but I like them :)

Vicki, Jim & Ray

REFLECTIONS ... are one of my top favorite topics for photography! I was instantly drawn to how this little guy's eye was perfectly reflected. Which brings to mind another handy tip ... if your subject has an eye - then, no matter what else, make sure the eye is in focus! A blurry eye gives the sense that the whole picture is out of focus. A sharp eye leaves a viewer feeling satisfied that anything out of focus, was intentional (it also adds a sense of depth).

I've got my eyes on you ...
The reflection in the following pic is what drew me to this image in the first place, which is how I decided it should be presented. I was tickled when I showed it to Ray - without any explanation - and saw him do a puzzled double-take ...

This one messes with your mind, doesn't it?

I like that reflections can reveal more than the central focus (besides the base of the Cypress Tree, you get to see more of the surrounding trees and the sky above) ...

Cypress Tree base & Reflection
These two last pics (for this post anyhow), are for two special loves .... first, my Auntie Mary, who thanked me for "bringing her to the swamp" (via my previous post), which she was never a big fan of, but "loves the beautiful birds that live there" ...

Yellow-crowned Night Heron
And the second is for my mother-in-law, Rosi. Both her and "Ray-Ray" mentioned fond memories of going here many years ago with Oma (her mother, Ray's Grandmother; a truly fabulous woman, whom we all miss very much) ...

Lettuce Lake
Happiness to all :)

2 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

these are wonderful. Can't wait to go there again with you.

Christine Stonebridge said...

Thank you! Yes - we need to plan another photo-adventure (soon :)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...