Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hands At Work, The Stone Mason

My brother at work :) He continually tells me that he's "not photo material" (as I stalk him around our yard, lol), but I think when he sees this, he might just see what I see.

It's a wonderful experience to watch him work. He carefully sorts through the piles of stone until he finds a suitable piece, breaks them deliberately when needed and, once it all comes together, you simply can't image it having been layed-out any different way. Each piece flows into the next. Symmetry.



Stone Masonry is a form of artistry, certainly among the oldest. It brings to mind the word "craftsman" which, sadly, is not as prevalent as it was in the generations before us. Stonework holds a special intrique for me; having originally come from New England, where fabulous granite buildings and age-old rock walls outlining ancient property boundaries still stand proudly amongst the new concrete, metal and glass structures. I look at those beautiful creations and can't help but wonder about the men that crafted them; that spent a lifetime practicing and honing their art. And then, I look at my brother working ... and I smile with pride.

Hands At Work, The Stone Mason Art Prints by Christine Stonebridge - Shop Canvas and Framed Wall Art Prints at Imagekind.com

7 comments:

Prettypics123 said...

That is one great picture and a good story to go with it!

Christine Stonebridge said...

Many thanks, Levonne!:)

Zane said...

Love the many and varied photo and story posts here. Wonderful images.

I will return to view some of the older posts.

Christine Stonebridge said...

Many thanks, Zane! I'm thrilled you visited and enjoyed my blog! I must say, your macro shots are phenominal! Very inspiring for me, as I recently became the proud owner of a Nikkor 105mm Macro; I love it, but have much to learn about perfecting my use of it.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Fabulous post. Win's an artist with stone like his father was with leather. He also has his father's hands.

rdl said...

great pic!!

Christine Stonebridge said...

Thanks Mary, very true on both accounts :)

Thanks rdl! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...