Sunday, November 21, 2010

Blue Moon

In order to get a halfway decent shot of the moon; I had to venture off "auto" and into the unknown (for me) of manual ... we're tallking speed & apperature settings. I've by no means "accomplished" the lesson, but I am pleased with the results so far :)

Blue Moon
I've always been fascinated with the moon; full, blue or otherwise. As a little girl, I liked to imagine that the moon was my protector, because no matter where I was, it seemed to be following me.

Interesting that we only ever see this side of the moon (it's rotation is such that the "far side" is always eluding us) and that it's the fifth largest natural satelite in our solar system. Also interesting, is that a Blue Moon isn't necissarily a second full moon within the same month. Each month of any season has one full moon (an early, second, & late moon) -  for a total of 12 full moons per year. An additional full moon in any season is a Blue Moon .... Which sounds a bit like the same thing, but isnt' really. No matter ... it's just cool; and that requires no additional explanation.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...